Monday, March 30, 2009

Sleep and Memory: the Correlation


Did you ever give a thought to the phrase, ‘Let me sleep on it’? Have you noticed how things seem so much clearer and decisions so much easier to make when you have had a good, refreshing night’s sleep?

I recall how during examination days, I would study for a few hours and then take an hour’s nap. That seemed to give my brain the time to consolidate and retain that which I had learnt and studied. If I had a sleep break, I was better able to retain what I had studied, and the material was clearer inside my head somehow.

This is just my personal practical experience of how sleep and memory are linked, there is also a wealth of scientific data now to prove that an optimum amount of sleep is required not just for memory retention but also for good health and well being.

It has been shown that...

Read more

No comments: